Submitted by Angel Barnett of Galena, Kansas and aired Thursday, October 8, 2009
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (16 oz) pinto or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey Jack cheese
- 6 (6 to 7 in) flour tortillas
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper until beef is brown and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Add the next 8 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine cheeses.
- In a 5-quart crock pot, layer about 3/4 cup beef mixture, 1 tortilla and about 1/3 cup cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours or until heated through.
Yields 4 servings.