3 cups cake flour minus 1 tablespoon
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup silken soft tofu
1 cup canned pumpkin
½ cup soybean oil (vegetable oil)
2 cups coarsely chopped apple
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon cake flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons margarine
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine tofu, pumpkin and oil.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened.
- Sir in chopped apple.
- Spoon batter into greased or paper-lined muffin cups filling ¾ full.
- Blend all Streusel Topping ingredients until well blended and crumbly.
- Sprinkle topping on top of batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Per muffin: calories 232, 7 g fat (1 g sat fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 130 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g protein (0.2 g soy protein), 1 g dietary fiber
*Adapted from first place entry Sonja Metzer, South Dakota Nutrition and Food Science and Hospitality Department