- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cup sugar, divided
- ¼ cup soy flour blend (see below)
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups whipped whipping cream
- Toasted coconut
- Beat egg whites, salt, cream of tartar and vanilla until soft peaks form; gradually add 1 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread egg white mixture into greased 9-inch baking dish; form shell by using back of spoon to form sides.
- Bake at 275 degrees for 60 minutes until a delicate tan and firm to touch.
- Let cool thoroughly.
- Place ½ cup sugar and soy flour blend in top of double boiler; blend thoroughly.
- Add pineapple and lemon juice.
- Add milk and cook until mixture begins to bubble.
- Stir small amount of mixture into beaten egg yolks; return mixture to saucepan and cook 2 additional minutes.
- Remove from heat and add margarine.
- Cool; chill thoroughly.
- Place cooled pineapple pudding mixture into cooled meringue shell.
- Top with whipped whipping cream and garnish with toasted coconut.
Soy Flour Blend
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup soy flour
Combine both flours and keep in canister to use for any recipe using all-purpose flour as an ingredient. Makes 8 cups blended flour