- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced 1/4 inch
- 3/12 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pre-cook sweet potatoes in water until crisp tender (about 10 minutes).
- Drain, reserving 1 1/2 cups cooking liquid.
- Layer potatoes in greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan.
- Add reserved liquid.
- Combine sugar, flour, spices, and sprinkle over potatoes.
- Dot with butter.
- Place pastry (see below) over filling, cut slits in top.
- Brush with butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cups shortening
- 1/3 cup oleo or butter (cold)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
Mix dry ingredients, cut in shortening and oleo until crumbly. Add water slowly until pastry will form a ball. Roll out.