- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint or mint extract
- Preheat oven to 275F.
- In a med size bowl beat egg whites on high speed of 20 seconds.
- Add cream of tartar and continue to beat 1-2 minutes or until soft peaks form. (Tips of peaks will curl down when beaters are lifted)
- Continue beating on high speed, gradually adding sugar in a slow, steady stream (do not add all the sugar at once).
- Continue beating on high speed 3-4 minutes or until sugar is dissolved, mixture is glossy and stiff peaks form. (tips of peaks will remain upright when beaters are lifted)
- Place cocoa powder in shaker; sprinkle over egg whites.
- Gently fold cocoa powder into egg whites just until cocoa powder disappears.
- Gently fold in peppermint extract.
- Cover baking sheet with Parchment Paper.
- Attach open star tip to decorator; fill with meringue mixture.
- Pipe mixture into small rosettes, about 1 ½ inches in diameter, 1 inch apart.
- Refill decorator as needed.
- Bake 1 hour - Meringues should look dry and have small cracks on the surface.
- Turn oven off and leave meringues in oven with door slightly ajar for 30-60 minutes or until meringues are thoroughly dry.
Yield 36 meringue cookies.
3 meringue – Kcal 35, 0 Fat, 8g carbohydrates.
Form Pampered Chef " It's good for you" cookbook