- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4.5 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 12 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temp, cut into cubes
- In a medium bowl, combine egg whites, 1/4 cup buttermilk and vanilla bean paste. Beat with a fork to combine. Set aside.
- In the mixing bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix with the paddle on low for 30 seconds to combine.
- Add butter and mix on low for 30 seconds or until butter is cut in.
- Add 3/4 cup buttermilk. Mix on low until everything is moistened. Scrape bowl and increase speed to medium. Beat for 1.5 minutes. Scrape, and gradually add egg mixture. Beat 20 seconds after each addition.
- Pour into two prepared 8-inch cake pans and smooth tops. Bake at 350 degrees F until cake springs back or tester comes out clean.