- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeds removed, chopped
- 2 hot chili peppers, Serrano or Jalapeno, finely chopped
- for a milder heat, remove seeds and ribs
- 2 to 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons lime juice
- salt and pepper
- Put chopped onion and garlic in a strainer, pour 2 cups boiling water over them then let drain thoroughly.
- Discard water. Cool.
- Combine onions and garlic with chopped tomatoes, peppers, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours to blend flavors.
- Makes about 2 cups of salsa.