- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 C. homemade or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 C. carrots, peeled and sliced bias-cut
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 T. grated fresh ginger root
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, with the outer parts peeled away and the tender white bottom stem, sliced finely
- 1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 15-oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 medium red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 4-oz. cans straw mushrooms or button mushrooms
- 1/3 C. chopped roasted peanuts
- In a 3 1/2-quart or larger crockpot, add the chicken, broth, carrots, onion, ginger, garlic, lemongrass and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Cook on low for six to eight hours or so.
- Ten minutes before serving, add the coconut milk, bell pepper, drained mushrooms.
- Cover and let stand five to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle peanuts on each serving.