- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 roasted red bell peppers or 1 jar (15 ozs.) roasted red bell peppers, well drained and cut into small pieces
- 3 cloves large garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ozs.) fat-freechicken broth
- 1/2 cup vermouth or dry white wine
- 1 cup day-old French bread cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 6 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese or shredded Parmesan cheese
- Combine all ingredients except parsley and cheese in a 3 1/2-quart crockpot.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook on low 7 to 8 hours or until eggplant is very tender.
- Just before serving, stir in parsley.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon of the cheese.