- 12 egg whites at room temperature (farm fresh eggs work best)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- dash salt
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- ½ tsp cream of tarter
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup flour
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 box vanilla pudding mix
1 pint strawberries (or any fruit desired)
- Whip egg whites, vanilla, salt, almond extract, and cream of tarter until firm (soft peaks form)
- Slowly add 1 cup sugar mixing until a "well" (stiff peaks) will hold.
- In a separate bowl combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar.
- Fold flour/sugar mixture gently into egg white mixture ¼ cup at a time.
- Spoon mixture into a flute pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour until golden brown.
- Turn pan upside down and allow cake to cool completely.
- Remove cake from pan.
- Cut cake in half HORIZONALLY.
- Laying the cake with the insides facing up use your fingers to hollow out a ring for the filling on both pieces. Make sure not to damage the edges of the cake for presentation purposes.
- Mix filling in small bowl.
- Spoon the pudding filling into the crevice of the bottom cake. Don't be sparing--let the cream fill over the crevice because the top has been hollowed out also.
- Put fruit on top of filling.
- Carefully place the top back on the cake.
- Put any remaining fruit on top.
- Chill until ready to serve.