Fire damages fraternity house in Lawrence
LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) - Members of a fraternity at the University of Kansas are moving back into their chapter house after a minor fire.
6NewsLawrence reports (http://bit.ly/YWHZ9v ) Lawrence-Douglas County firefighters were called to the Sigma Chi house around 11:30 a.m. Tuesday on a report of smoke coming from the third floor.
The fire was under control at 12:30 p.m. and was contained to an area that houses bedrooms and a bathroom.
The university said the 74 residents of the house were able to move back in by Tuesday evening. Four were moving to other rooms in the house.
The Sigma Chi house was also damaged in August 2012 in an accidental fire caused by construction.
Marijuana plants seized in Kansas operation
EUREKA, Kan. (AP) - Authorities in southeast Kansas say they've broken up a large marijuana-growing operation.
Greenwood County sheriff's deputies on Tuesday seized more than 1,700 marijuana plants from a field in the south-central part of the county. Two people were arrested, and the investigation is still going on.
Personnel from the Kansas Bureau of Investigation, the Highway Patrol and the state Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism took part in the seizure.
Former city technology chief faces federal charges
KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP) - A former suburban Kansas City technology director has been charged in federal court with selling nearly $100,000 in city-purchased electronic devices on an internet auction site.
The U.S. attorney's office in Kansas City, Kansas, says 44-year-old Andrew Davey of Overland Park appeared in court Monday on five counts of wire fraud and one count of theft.
Prosecutors say Davey was Lenexa's technology director when he used city funds to purchase electronics and then sell them on eBay for a total of roughly $98,000.
Davey could face up to 20 years in federal prison and a fine of up to $250,000 on each wire fraud count and up to 10 years and a $250,000 fine on the theft charge.
His attorneys weren't available Tuesday afternoon for comment.
Fatal fireworks explosion ruled accidental
(Information in the following story is from: The Joplin (Mo.) Globe, http://www.joplinglobe.com )
PITTSBURG, Kan. (AP) - The state fire marshal says an explosion that killed a worker at a southeast Kansas fireworks company has been ruled accidental.
The blast happened Aug. 12 at a Pittsburg warehouse owned by Jake's Fireworks. Two employees were unloading a shipping container of fireworks to move them to the company's new headquarters when the explosion occurred.
An investigator from the Kansas fire marshal's office told The Joplin Globe (http://bit.ly/1ry7mvi ) on Tuesday the explosion has been traced to debris around a forklift the men were using.
Twenty-eight-year-old Kenny Clark died several hours later at a hospital in Joplin, Missouri. The other employee also suffered severe burns.
1 federally registered voter voted in dual system
WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - One voter.
That's the total number of Kansans who registered using the federal voter form without proof of citizenship and actually cast a ballot in the Aug. 5 primaries under a dual election system.
Secretary of State Kris Kobach said Tuesday that of the 180 Kansans who used the federal registration form without providing documentation, only one of them voted - in Johnson County. Under the state's dual system, only their votes cast in the federal races would be counted.
Kobach's office is still calculating how many of the more than 18,000 people whose state registrations are on hold voted in the primary using provisional ballots, but Kobach says it appears to be only a handful tried voting. All of their provisional votes would have been discarded.
Suspect charged in death of Kansas State student
MANHATTAN, Kan. (AP) - An Olathe man has been charged with involuntary manslaughter in the November 2013 death of a Kansas State University student.
Riley County police say 21-year-old Gregory Haug Jr. was arrested Saturday and is charged in the death of 18-year-old freshman Jordan Forbit.
KMAN reports (http://bit.ly/VM3GaC ) that Forbit, of Elkhart, was found dead on Nov. 20 inside a vehicle parked in a campus lot outside the Derby residential complex in Manhattan.
Forbit was a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences.
Further details about what led to Haug's arrest in the case were not released.
Town stops using gas chamber to euthanize animals
(Information in the following story is from: The Topeka (Kan.) Capital-Journal, http://www.cjonline.com )
TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) - Kansas now has only three shelters that use gas chambers to euthanize animals after a fourth shut its chamber down earlier this month.
The Topeka Capital-Journal (http://bit.ly/1qJDkhI ) reports Eureka unplugged its chamber a few days after the newspaper published a story about the ongoing practice in the state. The city's administrator says switching to a different way to euthanize animals had been a goal for quite a while.
Nationwide only about 50 shelters and pounds still use gas chambers. Of the three Kansas communities that still operate gas chambers, one hasn't used its chamber since last year, one didn't respond to interview requests and the other is looking into alternatives only because it anticipates state law changes that would make it impractical to continue using its chamber.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.