- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds beef or deer meat
- 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Trim the steak of any excess fat, place in a zip-top bag, and place it in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours in order to firm up.
- Remove the steak from the freezer and thinly slice the meat, into long strips 1/8-1/4 inch thick--Being careful to keep them similar in thickness.
- Place the strips of meat along with all of the remaining ingredients into a large, 1-gallon plastic zip-top bag and move around to evenly distribute all of the ingredients.
- Place the bag into the refrigerator for 3 to 6 hours.
- Remove the meat from the brine and pat dry.
- Evenly distribute the strips of meat onto dehydrator or jerky racks, follow the manufacturer's directions.
- You can use most ovens to dehydrate.
- Set the temp on 145-150 degrees and leave the oven door cracked open.
- Once dry, store in a cool dry place, in an airtight container for 2 to 3 months.