Quantcast

80 years of "Christmas City" in Noel, Mo. - KOAM TV 7

80 years of "Christmas City" in Noel, Mo.

Updated:

Noel, Missouri celebrates it's 80th year stamping special holiday greetings on cards and letters from "Christmas City", a tradition that many love to join in on.

Back in 1932 the Postmaster in Noel got an idea and since then people from all over the world have traveled or flown their cards to get the unique "Seasons Greetings" stamp.

"I live in Noel, but really since the first day of December, or really since the day after Thanksgiving, it's called No-el," says organizer Dorothy "Dot" Harner.

So far this year Harner and other volunteers have stamped more than 4,500 cards sent to the Noel Post Office.

"It's exciting for us to see where they're from - it's kind of neat and unique," says volunteer Faye Davis.  "A few years ago we got a bunch in from France and that was exciting."

Volunteers say that about 90% of the mail that needs to get stamped is hand delivered to the Post Office.  The remaining 10 % are delivered through the mail.

"There are a lot of people that do this," says Harner.  "We've got a lot of people that come up from Arkansas, over from Oklahoma, they'll come in and sometimes they'll even help stamp with us."

Phyllis Von Holdt drove about 20 miles to get her traditional "Seasons Greetings".

"Almost ever since we moved here about 12 years ago we try to make it in here every year that we can," says Von Holdt.  "People appreciate getting the cards that just have that extra little, Merry Christmas on them."

While many love sending the "Christmas City" stamped cards and letters, it's volunteers like Harner that say doing the stamping and seeing the smiles on those that receive them is what's worth it.

"I love it,," Harner says.  "I love Christmas and I really love being able to do all of this kind of stuff."

About 30 volunteers log around 240 hours each year doing the stamping.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Parsons city officials discuss plans for Prairie West Pond

    Parsons city officials discuss plans for Prairie West Pond

    Thursday, August 21 2014 10:32 PM EDT2014-08-22 02:32:01 GMT
    Residents of Parsons, Kansas use Prairie West Pond as a recreational area for fishing and picnics. But some say it is losing its appeal. More >>
    Residents of Parsons, Kansas use Prairie West Pond as a recreational area for fishing and picnics. But some say it is losing its appeal. More >>
  • Lawmakers push to keep MO Rehabilitation Center & VA Clinic open

    Lawmakers push to keep MO Rehabilitation Center & VA Clinic open

    Thursday, August 21 2014 7:23 PM EDT2014-08-21 23:23:43 GMT
    Southwest Missouri lawmakers have met with officials in an attempt to delay or prevent the closing of the Missouri rehabilitation center and VA clinic. Citizens are hoping for a solution. "We're gonna be praying for our community." Members of the Lifebridge Assembly church hold a prayer walk around the Missouri Rehabilitation Center and VA clinic. They're concerned about the impact of centers closing and the loss of three hundred plus jobs. Pastor John McHaffie says, "It effects people in ...More >>
    Southwest Missouri lawmakers have met with officials in an attempt to delay or prevent the closing of the Missouri rehabilitation center and VA clinic. Citizens are hoping for a solution. "We're gonna be praying for our community." Members of the Lifebridge Assembly church hold a prayer walk around the Missouri Rehabilitation Center and VA clinic. They're concerned about the impact of centers closing and the loss of three hundred plus jobs. Pastor John McHaffie says, "It effects people in ...More >>
  • Neosho School District, Crowder College Partner on Autism Program in New Location

    Thursday, August 21 2014 6:54 PM EDT2014-08-21 22:54:46 GMT
    Thanks to a program in Neosho, children with autism can now learn about independence, and develop valuable skills in a unique type of school.More >>
    Thanks to a program in Neosho, children with autism can now learn about independence, and develop valuable skills in a unique type of school.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

KOAM - Licensed to Pittsburg, Kansas
Send tips, ideas and press releases to: tips@koamtv.com
Send newsroom questions or comments to: comments@koamtv.com
Phone: (417) 624-0233 or (620) 231-0400
Web comments or questions: webmaster@koamtv.com
Newsroom Fax: (417) 624-3158

Powered by WorldNow All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KOAM. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.