Missouri bill would make it easier to transfer... - KOAM TV 7

Missouri bill would make it easier to transfer from a community college to four year college


Missouri lawmakers want to make it easier for college students to transfer from one school to the next.  So they're pushing for a course library.

Crowder College students take classes for associates degrees but when they want a Bachelor's degree they have to move to a four year college or university.

In the past it's been difficult to get some coursework accepted by bigger university's, so with House Bill 1042, the state of Missouri is working to create a course transfer library.

So far agreements have been reached on 25 general education classes but there are still sticking points on others.

"Everyone has a different 'Intro to Biology' class - Biology, for example, is it a three hour lab, four hour lab, five hour lab with it?" says Glenn Coltharp, Academic Affairs for Crowder College.  "How do you transfer?  Do you accept all that lab?  What are the competencies you teach in that class are they the same from school to school?"

Coltharp says the state's goal is to create a library of 50 courses that transfer without questions.  He says Crowder already has articulation agreements with MSSU, Missouri State, Pittsburg State and Arkansas to ensure its students don't have problems transferring there.

But transferring credits to other state universities in Missouri can still be difficult. 

Powered by WorldNow

KOAM - Licensed to Pittsburg, Kansas
Send tips, ideas and press releases to: tips@koamtv.com
Send newsroom questions or comments to: comments@koamtv.com
Phone: (417) 624-0233 or (620) 231-0400
Web comments or questions: webmaster@koamtv.com
Newsroom Fax: (417) 624-3158

Powered by WorldNow All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KOAM. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.