News release from the SEK Humane Society:
SEK Humane Society would like to remind pet owners that while the 4th of July festivities may be fun for people it can also be dangerous to animals. According to national statistics, more dogs are lost during the 4th of July period than at any other time of year. Please take these precautionary steps to ensure your pets have a safe and comfortable holiday.
• Don't take your dog to watch fireworks.
• Leave your dog at home in a secure room or board at a vet clinic.
• Don't leave your pet alone in the backyard.
• Make sure your pets are wearing proper identification tags.
• Talk to your vet about medication to help calm your pet.
• Never use fireworks around pets.
• Don't leave alcoholic drinks where animals can reach them.
• Keep citronella candles, insect coils, and oil products out of pets' reach.
• Keep matches and lighter fluid away from pets.
• Never put glow jewelry on pets or let them play with it.
• Keep pets on their regular diet.
• Give pets plenty of water.
# # #