NEWS RELEASE ISSUED SEPTEMBER 4, 2013 BY THE OFFICE OF U.S. SENATOR JERRY MORAN (KAN.)
SEN. MORAN NAMES 2013 SERVICE ACADEMY SELECTION BOARD
Board to review applications and interview candidates for admission to U.S. Service
Academies:Application Deadline is Sept. 6, 2013
MANHATTAN, KAN. – U.S. Senator Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) today announced the members of his 2013 Kansas Service Academy Selection Board. The 20-member board will review applications and interview candidates who are applying for admission to U.S. Service Academies. These include the U.S. Military Academy, U.S. Naval Academy, U.S. Air Force Academy and U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. Candidates selected will enter the academies in June 2014.
Service Academy Selection Board Member Steve Harmon of Emporia said, "It is an honor to serve on the selection board. Senator Moran is a role model on military and veterans affairs, and I appreciate the opportunity to be part of the process for selecting the future leaders of our Armed Forces."
"Our country is fortunate to have so many intelligent, hard-working and patriotic young men and women interested in serving our country through the Armed Forces," Sen. Moran said. "I'm certain the Selection Board will have a challenging time narrowing the field of qualified candidates, but I value their insight and thank them for their service."
Sen. Moran accepts applications for nominations to the United States Service Academies each year. The application deadline for entry in 2014 is Sept. 6, 2013. Candidates are then required to interview with Sen. Moran's Service Academy Selection Board. Following interviews, the Board will make recommendations to Sen. Moran for his decision. If nominated, applicants must then meet the individual admission requirements of each academy. The academies will make the final decision on who will receive an appointment of admission in early 2014.
Members of the 2013 Kansas Service Academy Selection Board include:
- Katrina Lewison of Manhattan; U.S. Military Academy Graduate and Purple Heart Recipient
- Janet Nichols of Manhattan; Manhattan Area Chamber of Commerce Military Community Liaison
- Frank Clepper of Overland Park; U.S. Military Academy Graduate
- Ernest Garcia of Overland Park; Kansas Highway Patrol Superintendent, retired U.S. Marine Corps Colonel and former U.S. Selective Service System Chief of Staff
- Jill McCarthy of Overland Park; Kansas City Area Development Council Vice President of Business Development and mother of U.S. Military Academy Graduate
- Anne Emerson of Fort Scott; Southeast Kansas, Inc. Board Member
- Nicholas Falcetto of Fort Leavenworth; U.S. Army Major and U.S. Military Academy Graduate
- Major Falcetto is the first nominee of then-Rep. Moran's to serve on the Selection Board
- Beth Funk, Ph.D., of Fort Riley; community volunteer and wife of Fort Riley Commanding General Major General Paul Funk
- Barb Grecian of Palco; Grecian Family Farms Co-Owner and wife of U.S. Army Veteran
- Steve Hawley of Lawrence; University of Kansas Director of Engineering Physics Program and former NASA Astronaut
- Robin Jackson, Ph.D., of Hutchinson; Central Christian College Professor of Science and Mathematics
- Jean Clifford of Garden City; USD 457 Board of Education member and retired Colonel in the USAF Reserves
- Ron Lucas of Goodland; Vietnam War Veteran and served in the U.S. Army
- Wendell Maddox of Kansas City; United Way of Wyandotte County President and CEO, and served in the U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps
- John O'Leary of Wichita; Airbus Vice President of Engineering and U.S. Naval Academy Graduate
- Paula Ripple of Dodge City; Retired Dodge City High School English instructor and mother of U.S. Air Force Academy Graduate
- Tammy Sutherland-Abbott of Liberal; USD 480 Board of Education Member and mother of U.S. Military Academy Graduate
- Samuel Turner of Leawood; retired Shawnee Mission Medical Center CEO, Vietnam War Veteran and served in the U.S. Army
- Steve Harmon of Emporia; E-Town Solutions Owner/President, Emporia City Commissioner and Kansas National Guard Member
- Ron Whitney of Emporia; American Legion Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars Member and served in U.S. Army