Quantcast

Safety is key when using wood stoves, fireplaces - KOAM TV 7

Safety is key when using wood stoves, fireplaces

Updated:
POSTED ON BEHALF OF THE CITY OF PARSONS, KANSAS

Safety is key when using wood stoves, fireplaces

PARSONS, KS — Because of the cost of energy, many residents are turning to wood stoves and fireplaces as a common source of supplementary heat in homes, but careful attention to safety can minimize fire hazard.

Parsons Fire Chief, Larry Steeby, reminds residents that when installing wood stoves, like any other heat source, a permit and subsequent inspection is required.

“It is always a good idea to check with your homeowner’s insurance agent to make sure your policy allows for wood burning stoves,” Steeby adds. “If you are considering installing a wood stove, the city offers an informational pamphlet from the City Code Enforcement Office that could help you tremendously.”

In addition to the available booklet, the U.S. Fire Administration offers the following tips to use a fireplace or wood stove safely:

·       Be sure the fireplace or stove is installed properly. Wood stoves should have adequate clearance (36”) from combustible surfaces and proper floor support and protection.

·       Wood stoves should be of good quality, solid construction and design, and should be laboratory tested.

·       Have the chimney inspected annually and cleaned if necessary, especially if it has not been used for some time.

·       Do not use flammable liquids to start or accelerate any fire.

·       Keep a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace opening, to prevent embers or sparks from jumping out, unwanted material from going in, and help prevent the possibility of burns to occupants.

·       The stove should be burned hot twice a day for 15-30 minutes to reduce the amount of creosote buildup.

·       Don’t use excessive amounts of paper to build roaring fires in fireplaces. It is possible to ignite creosote in the chimney by overbuilding the fire.

·       Never burn charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal can give off lethal amounts of carbon monoxide.

·       Keep flammable materials away from your fireplace mantel. A spark from the fireplace could easily ignite these materials.

·       Before you go to sleep, be sure your fireplace fire is out. NEVER close your damper with hot ashes in the fireplace. A closed damper will help the fire to heat up again and will force toxic carbon monoxide into the house.

·       If synthetic logs are used, follow the directions on the package. NEVER break a synthetic log apart to quicken the fire or use more than one log at a time. They often burn unevenly, releasing higher levels of carbon monoxide.

“These are all great tips,” Steeby said. “You can never be too safe around wood burning stoves and fireplaces. All homes should be equipped with smoke detectors, at the very least.”

Steeby added that it’s a good idea for homes to also have a multi-purpose fire extinguisher, and a carbon monoxide detector.

“Remembering these tips and being prepared could ultimately save your life,” Steeby said.

For a copy of the informational booklet about wood stoves and the requirements specific to Parsons, please call 620-421-7020.

###


  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Mercy Clinic Columbus Welcomes New Physician

    Mercy Clinic Columbus Welcomes New Physician

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 3:23 PM EDT2014-09-16 19:23:15 GMT
    Columbus, KS - James L. Compton, DO, joined Mercy Clinic Family Medicine in Columbus, Kansas on September 16. Dr. Compton received his medical education from the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, Kirksville, MO and completed his internship at Oklahoma Osteopathic Hospital in Tulsa, Oklahoma.He is board certified in family medicine and has been in private practice and emergency medicine. He is a member of the American Osteopathic Association, American College of Osteopathic Family Ph...More >>
    Columbus, KS - James L. Compton, DO, joined Mercy Clinic Family Medicine in Columbus, Kansas on September 16. Dr. Compton received his medical education from the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, Kirksville, MO and completed his internship at Oklahoma Osteopathic Hospital in Tulsa, Oklahoma.He is board certified in family medicine and has been in private practice and emergency medicine. He is a member of the American Osteopathic Association, American College of Osteopathic Family Ph...More >>
  • SEK-CAP Closes Waiting List for HUD Program on September 30

    SEK-CAP Closes Waiting List for HUD Program on September 30

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 3:12 PM EDT2014-09-16 19:12:28 GMT
    Girard, KS – The Southeast Kansas Community Action Program (SEK-CAP will close the waiting list for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program on September 30th, 2014. All eligible, complete applications received prior to the deadline will be reviewed and added to the waitlist.The Section 8 HCV Program assists qualifying individuals and families with rental subsidies, based on household income. Applicants must live within SEK-CAP'...More >>
    Girard, KS – The Southeast Kansas Community Action Program (SEK-CAP will close the waiting list for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program on September 30th, 2014. All eligible, complete applications received prior to the deadline will be reviewed and added to the waitlist.The Section 8 HCV Program assists qualifying individuals and families with rental subsidies, based on household income. Applicants must live within SEK-CAP'...More >>
  • Buffalo Wild Wings - Joplin hosting 2nd Annual Coats for Kids

    Buffalo Wild Wings - Joplin hosting 2nd Annual Coats for Kids

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 3:03 PM EDT2014-09-16 19:03:57 GMT
    Joplin, MO - Buffalo Wild Wings of Joplin is hosting its 2nd Annual Coats for Kids drive. Bring in a clean, gently used coat for donation and BWW will give you a $5 BWW Gift Certificate* to use on a future visit. All coats collected will go to kids here at the Boys and Girls Club.*Maximum of 4 gift certificates per person.More >>
    Joplin, MO - Buffalo Wild Wings of Joplin is hosting its 2nd Annual Coats for Kids drive. Bring in a clean, gently used coat for donation and BWW will give you a $5 BWW Gift Certificate* to use on a future visit. All coats collected will go to kids here at the Boys and Girls Club.*Maximum of 4 gift certificates per person.More >>
Powered by WorldNow

KOAM - Licensed to Pittsburg, Kansas
Send tips, ideas and press releases to: tips@koamtv.com
Send newsroom questions or comments to: comments@koamtv.com
Phone: (417) 624-0233 or (620) 231-0400
Web comments or questions: webmaster@koamtv.com
Newsroom Fax: (417) 624-3158

Powered by WorldNow All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KOAM. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.