Quantcast

Pittsburg High School Adds more Career Pathways Programs - KOAM TV 7

Pittsburg High School Adds more Career Pathways Programs

Updated:

Preparing students to join the workforce. Pittsburg Community Schools adds three more career pathways programs to five already successful ones connecting kids to future jobs.

Cynthia Hernandez, a Pittsburg High School senior   and five classmates are getting salon kits for cosmetology class at the start of this new semester.  While still in high school, they'll get tools of the trade and hands on experience too.

Cynthia says, "I  thought it was a good idea to get a  start on my career.  I  thought it was a great opportunity to get a taste of it before going into it."

The principal Jon Bishop says, "This is an opportunity for them to see is this the right fit for me. If they go and go through it and think I'm not sure that's 100 percent what I want to do, they  can at least experience that and  move on to college or post secondary opportunities and  make decisions more suitable for their needs."

For some it's a faster way to an income. Senior Courtney Cannici says, "There's people who make their full  living off that (cosmetology). I thought it would be a good stable job while going to law school.  It would also be something for me  to fall back on, I would have a degree in something I enjoy doing."

Their  instructor has seen career pathways programs  work with her own son who is  in welding.
 Fawn Lallemand says, "He loves it.  It gave him a career path so I believe in it  whole heartedly.  They'll get basic skills, pedicuring, manicuring, waxing and one haircut. They'll
 learn shampooing, communication skills, how to interact with people and they will have some book work."

Besides cosmetology,  an emt class and culinary arts class are being added and  those are held  at the high.  Students says they're excited to take a class that can lead to a career and is something they enjoy.

Mcauley Windsor is in culinary arts and says, "I  love it only, I had one  class so far but I am completely pumped about it. I've already learned some stuff I didn't know and can't   wait to really get into it, dig into it  and make stuff from scratch."

Administrators  polled students for the types of programs they wanted and says the other five existing pathways programs have proven successful at keeping students in school through graduation. Superintendent Destry Brown says, "I think it has a motivation factor for us, so I'm hoping that's the effect. The masonry program, carpentry program did that when  we started those and  we've been able to keep more kids in school. So hopefully these will do the same things."

Students agree the programs are more engaging.  Mcauley says, "When its something I enjoy I Know I can do a lot better  in it than something I just have to do."

Cynthia says "I think its going to be challenging but I know that I really like it so I'm willing to put in the effort."

The pay off: experience and training as they leave high school.
 The new career pathways are offered like other  in partnership with Fort Scott Community College and follow a two year completion plan to earn certifications.

• Local NewsMore>>

At least 4 new businesses are heading to downtown Joplin

Friday, April 18 2014 10:00 PM EDT2014-04-19 02:00:02 GMT
    Downtown Joplin has gained several new businesses in the past month and even more are coming.More >>

Carthage plant bringing 160 jobs to the area

Friday, April 18 2014 5:20 PM EDT2014-04-18 21:20:41 GMT
    A Carthage, Missouri cheese plant has begun an expansion project that will bring jobs to the area. Schreiber Foods says the 29,000 foot expansion will add 160 jobs to the plant. The plant will also re-purpose 67,000 square feet to install material handling and storage capacity for cheese, ingredients and packaging materials.More >>

New Joplin city manager may be at least another six months away

Friday, April 18 2014 5:08 PM EDT2014-04-18 21:08:09 GMT
    Councilman Mike Woolston says former city manager Mark Rohr's salary, including compensation and benefits, was about $200,000 at the time city council fired him.  Joplin's new city manager may be paid the same.More >>
  • Lisa OlligesLisa OlligesMore>>

Man arrested the night his daughter committed suicide sues City of Joplin and Joplin Police

Friday, April 18 2014 4:09 PM EDT2014-04-18 20:09:38 GMT
    In March 2013, 16-year-old Brooke Russell committed suicide by shooting herself in Joplin's Roanoke Park.   Before the teenager died, Russell's father and brother, who found the wounded teen in the park, were arrested for assault, accused of assaulting emergency workers sent to save his daughter's life.More >>

Suspect who assaulted Seneca officer captured in Texas

Tuesday, April 15 2014 12:00 PM EDT2014-04-15 16:00:33 GMT
    Suspect SearchSuspect Search
    A man suspected of injuring a Seneca, Missouri police officer was captured by U.S. Marshals in Collin County, Texas.  In addition to pending charges in Newton County, Missouri, Cory Rantz also has two holds out of Arkansas, and will be extradited there first.More >>

IRS Officials Offer Tips for Last Minute Tax Filers

Sunday, April 13 2014 10:48 PM EDT2014-04-14 02:48:18 GMT
    April 15th not far away and tax officials are urging you to send in those tax returns. Whether it be online or through paper returns, the IRS doesn't want you to pay that penalty fee for late returns.Officials recommend preparing beforehand. And to stay current and knowledgeable by conducting your own research, because choosing the wrong professional to file your taxes could cost you. Michael Devine with the Internal Revenue Service says, "Returns that are filed in March and April, we don't s...More >>
Powered by WorldNow

KOAM - Licensed to Pittsburg, Kansas
Send tips, ideas and press releases to: tips@koamtv.com
Send newsroom questions or comments to: comments@koamtv.com
Phone: (417) 624-0233 or (620) 231-0400
Web comments or questions: webmaster@koamtv.com
Newsroom Fax: (417) 624-3158

Powered by WorldNow All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KOAM. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.