Quantcast

Fire destroys home in Parsons; cause related to attempt to thaw - KOAM TV 7

Fire destroys home in Parsons; cause related to attempt to thaw out frozen water pipes underneath the home

Updated:

NEWS RELEASE ISSUED BY THE PARSONS FIRE DEPARTMENT

The Parsons Fire Department responded to a structure fire today at 11:57 a.m. The address of the call was 2704 Prospect; upon arrival there was heavy smoke and flames showing from the east side of the residence. The fire was under control by 12:23 p.m.

The fire started in the garage area of the residence and spread throughout most of the east side of the home before firefighters arrived on scene. The cause of the fire seems to be related to trying to thaw out some frozen water pipes underneath the home. There were three people at the residence at the time of the fire. Lauren and her child escaped the home uninjured, while Jared Workman who was there assisting the occupant with a frozen water pipe issue, received minor injuries.

The home is considered a total loss. Estimated damage to the home and contents is $70,000. The house was owned by Rick Hizey of Parsons and occupied by Lauren Carland. The owner had coverage on the structure but the occupant did not have insurance on the contents. There was also a 2005 Dodge Stratus in the garage at the time of the fire and it is considered a total loss as well. Damage to the vehicle is estimated at $5,000. It is believed to be insured.

# # #

Powered by WorldNow

KOAM - Licensed to Pittsburg, Kansas
Send tips, ideas and press releases to: tips@koamtv.com
Send newsroom questions or comments to: comments@koamtv.com
Phone: (417) 624-0233 or (620) 231-0400
Web comments or questions: webmaster@koamtv.com
Newsroom Fax: (417) 624-3158

Powered by WorldNow All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KOAM. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.