Gary Shaw was born and raised in Ohio, moving to Joplin in 1960. A veteran of six years in the United States Army, he serves today as the Executive Administrator of Central Christian Center, located in the historic Fox theater in downtown Joplin, a position he has held for the past thirty-five years.
Shaw served on the City of Joplin’s Historic Preservation Commission for four years, serving two years as chairman, and served on the Zoning & Planning commission for six years, serving two years as chairman.
He is a past President of Main Street Joplin, past President of Life Choices Ministries, past Vice-President of the Board of Directors for the Joplin Area Chamber of Commerce and has served on numerous committees and sub-committees for various local and state organizations. Shaw has also served on the Board of Directors for the Missouri Municipal League in Jefferson City, Missouri, and is an Elder and Trustee of Central Christian Center. He presently serves as the Secretary for the Historic and Beautification Committee for the Jasper County Courthouse in Carthage, Missouri and a member of the Board of Directors for the Harry S. Truman Coordinating Council.
In 1984, in conjunction with the centennial celebration of the Carthage Courthouse, he was instrumental in locating the cornerstone of the Jasper County Courthouse in Joplin, built in 1894, which burned in 1911. That cornerstone stands today in a monument that was built under his supervision located in the 700 block of Virginia Street near the site of the original courthouse.
Shaw is married to his wife of nearly fifty-two years, Kathy, and has one son, Brian, a local businessman. Shaw is serving his twelfth year on the Joplin City Council. He served for two years as Mayor Pro-Tem and two years as Mayor.
KOAM - Licensed to Pittsburg, Kansas