NEWS RELEASE FROM THE OFFICE OF KANSAS GOVERNOR SAM BROWNBACK
Governor Sam Brownback statement on education funding
Topeka – Governor Sam Brownback today issued a statement on education funding following the recent Gannon v State of Kansas decision:
“I have had good discussions with legislators and education superintendents concerning school finance. My highest priority is that dollars need to go to the classroom and our students.
“Here are my eight guiding principles on education funding:
- the equity issue raised by the court should be completely addressed this year;
- capital outlay authority should remain intact and be fully equalized;
- Local Option Budget authority should remain intact and be fully funded;
- local school boards should be given the opportunity to send additional funding to the classroom to help their students succeed if we can give them the necessary authority to do so and maintain equity;
- if there are opportunities for legitimate efficiencies to be found within the school finance formula, they should be considered;
- the solution to the equity problem will require significant new funding;
- and the administration will work with legislative leadership to identify the necessary additional funding.
“I appreciate the hard work of the legislature in addressing this important issue. We will fix it.”