Quantcast

Arma toddler burned after gas can explodes - KOAM TV 7

Arma toddler burned after gas can explodes

Posted: Updated:
NEWS RELEASE FROM THE ARMA, KANSAS POLICE DEPARTMENT

On 04/18/2014 at 12:53 hrs, the Crawford County Sheriff Office received a 911 call regarding a 2 year old toddler that was injured in a fire at 211 W. Washington St. in Arma, KS.  Upon arrival of Arma Police Department, it was discovered that a 2 year old male toddler and his step-father were outside the residence near a fire pit with an active fire in the pit.  According to witnesses and family members, a plastic gas container was sitting near the fire and somehow the gas container ignited.  The 2 year old child was standing near the gas container when it ignited and the child's clothing caught fire.  The child's step-father, who was in near proximity of the child, noticed the child on fire and grabbed the child and with help of a neighbor, extinguished the child's clothing.

Crawford County EMS transported the child to the Arma Fire Department, where Eagle-Med Medical Helicopter was stationed to transport the child to Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City.  The condition of the child is unknown at this time.  The step-father was transported to an area hospital with burns to his arms and hands.  Arma Fire Department and the Crawford County Sheriff's Office also assisted in this investigation, which is on-going at this time.

The names of the victims are being withheld pending the final outcome of the investigation.

Jeremy R. Allen
Chief of Police, Arma, KS
Powered by WorldNow

KOAM - Licensed to Pittsburg, Kansas
Send tips, ideas and press releases to: tips@koamtv.com
Send newsroom questions or comments to: comments@koamtv.com
Phone: (417) 624-0233 or (620) 231-0400
Web comments or questions: webmaster@koamtv.com
Newsroom Fax: (417) 624-3158

Powered by WorldNow All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KOAM. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.