Quantcast

Girard residents to vote on school bond issue - KOAM TV 7

Girard residents to vote on school bond issue

Updated:
It's been two years in the making: a bond issue proposed by the Girard School District to upgrade the structures that host the city's youngest residents.

"The bond issue will provide improvements to our school buildings, improve security and provide adequate classroom space," said Lori Johnson, Strong Schools for Girard.

The result of much collaboration, the initiative proposes to renovate the high school, R.V. Haderlein Elementary school and the bus barn. The majority of the focus will be on the elementary school, a building that many residents say needs attention.

"It's been there since way before I went to school," said Dave Garrett, Girard resident.

Lori Johnson says the project will benefit the students and the city.

"In order to build and thrive in our community and build a stronger community and increase our economic development, we need to invest in the future of our community and our children," said Johnson.

School officials say the joint effort has proven powerful.

"Going forward it's also kind of a motivating thing that has brought our community together," said Blaise Bauer, USD 248 Superintendent.

The estimated cost for the projects is $16 million, of which the state would pay 56 percent. Residents would be responsible for the remaining 44 percent.

This potential tax increase causes Ron Brust concern.

"I think they need to give us some sort of a tax break against so that we don't have to pay on it on our low income because it's just going to be impossible.

Dave Garret understand taxes will increase, but he says the school district is a one of Girard's strong points.

"We're a small farming community and a lot of people come to our town because of our school system," said garrett.

"No matter what the outcome is, it's nice to see someone rally behind something they believe in," said Bauer.

The bond election is Tuesday, May 6th. Columbus, Kansas will also be holding its school bond election tomorrow. Polls for both close at 7:00 pm.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Project Homeless Connect

    Project Homeless Connect

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 3:28 PM EDT2014-07-22 19:28:29 GMT
    The Homeless Coalition of Jasper and Newton Counties will host a Project Homeless Connect event on Wednesday, July 23, 2014. This one stop shop event is for persons and families who are experiencing homelessness.More >>
    The Homeless Coalition of Jasper and Newton Counties will host a Project Homeless Connect event on Wednesday, July 23, 2014. This one stop shop event is for persons and families who are experiencing homelessness. More >>
  • Campers to Experience a Night in Nature

    Campers to Experience a Night in Nature

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 2:59 PM EDT2014-07-22 18:59:31 GMT
    A few lucky students will soon have an opportunity to enjoy some of the most exciting nightlife in southeast Kansas. A few spots still remain for the Pittsburg State University Nature Reach Summer Overnight Camp.More >>
    A few lucky students will soon have an opportunity to enjoy some of the most exciting nightlife in southeast Kansas. A few spots still remain for the Pittsburg State University Nature Reach Summer Overnight Camp.More >>
  • Carthage author shares comic illustrations in new book

    Carthage author shares comic illustrations in new book

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 11:36 AM EDT2014-07-22 15:36:35 GMT
    Author Dan Trogdon’s nationwide release of “An so It Goes, Vol. 2,” is an inside look into Trogdon’s bent world - a world occupied by odd, but funny notions hinged to the absurd. Using simple line drawings, Trogdon combines unlikely elements into cartoons that sometimes require a little extra thought, but once understood, can be enjoyed many times over.More >>
    Author Dan Trogdon’s nationwide release of “An so It Goes, Vol. 2,” is an inside look into Trogdon’s bent world - a world occupied by odd, but funny notions hinged to the absurd. Using simple line drawings, Trogdon combines unlikely elements into cartoons that sometimes require a little extra thought, but once understood, can be enjoyed many times over. More >>
Powered by WorldNow

KOAM - Licensed to Pittsburg, Kansas
Send tips, ideas and press releases to: tips@koamtv.com
Send newsroom questions or comments to: comments@koamtv.com
Phone: (417) 624-0233 or (620) 231-0400
Web comments or questions: webmaster@koamtv.com
Newsroom Fax: (417) 624-3158

Powered by WorldNow All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KOAM. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.