Quantcast

New Joplin trolley to begin service on July 7 - KOAM TV 7

New Joplin trolley to begin service on July 7

Updated:
The original Sunshine Lamp Trolley which was placed into operation in July 2007 will be officially retiring from service. Since giving its ceremonial first ride along Main Street from the Joplin Public Library to the Newman Building, this trolley has traveled more than 198,000 miles and provided over 226,934 rides. This trolley became a fixture on the Blue Route and served as a public ambassador for our trolley service to hundreds of thousands of Joplin residents and out of town visitors driving along Range Line Road, 7th Street, MSSU, and Downtown Joplin.

The new Sunshine Lamp Trolley is a heavy duty model, an El Dorado EZ-Rider II, designed specifically for use on daily bus routes with modern transit enhancements such as a low floor, wheel chair entrance/exit ramps at both the front and rear doors, air-ride suspension system, and three wheel chair securement areas. Although it's equipped with modern features needed for a busy transit system, the solid oak wooden benches, brass handrails with leather straps, expanded seating for thirty-six passengers, and iconic brass bell, it has all the classic charm that made the old trolley a community favorite.

The new trolley was funded through a Federal Transportation Administration grant which provided 80% of the $390,115 purchase price. The remaining 20% was funded through the Joplin Transportation Sales Tax.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Pittsburg Says Casino Money Is Helping in Multiple Ways

    Pittsburg Says Casino Money Is Helping in Multiple Ways

    Friday, June 22 2018 7:28 PM EDT2018-06-22 23:28:02 GMT

    The city of Pittsburg has published its 5 year financial forecast, and it appears things are looking up. According to that forecast, the Kansas Crossing Casino deserves a good deal of credit. 

    More >>

    The city of Pittsburg has published its 5 year financial forecast, and it appears things are looking up. According to that forecast, the Kansas Crossing Casino deserves a good deal of credit. 

    More >>
  • Worker is Electrocuted and Injured in Southeast Kansas

    Worker is Electrocuted and Injured in Southeast Kansas

    Friday, June 22 2018 5:57 PM EDT2018-06-22 21:57:29 GMT

    The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office is working an accident on Highway 66 east of Riverton, Kansas. According to Sheriff Groves, a road construction worker from KDOT was taken to a Joplin hospital with what he believes to be non-life threatening injuries after being electrocuted today (June 22, 2018). Both lanes of traffic are closed while Empire crews make sure the area is safe. The Cherokee County EMS and Galena Fire Department are also on scene. KDOT is working on an ...

    More >>

    The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office is working an accident on Highway 66 east of Riverton, Kansas. According to Sheriff Groves, a road construction worker from KDOT was taken to a Joplin hospital with what he believes to be non-life threatening injuries after being electrocuted today (June 22, 2018). Both lanes of traffic are closed while Empire crews make sure the area is safe. The Cherokee County EMS and Galena Fire Department are also on scene. KDOT is working on an ...

    More >>
  • Child Advocacy Center to Get New Facility

    Child Advocacy Center to Get New Facility

    Friday, June 22 2018 9:46 PM EDT2018-06-23 01:46:31 GMT

    Workers level the ground on a piece of property that will change hundreds of kids' lives "We staff all of the child abuse and molestation cases in Ottawa County. We prosecute them through the district attorney's office" says Leslie Bissell, the director of the Child Advocacy Center of Ottawa County.  The current facility is about 800 square feet. The new facility will be around 2,800 feet which they anticipate will help with the growing case load.  "...

    More >>

    Workers level the ground on a piece of property that will change hundreds of kids' lives "We staff all of the child abuse and molestation cases in Ottawa County. We prosecute them through the district attorney's office" says Leslie Bissell, the director of the Child Advocacy Center of Ottawa County.  The current facility is about 800 square feet. The new facility will be around 2,800 feet which they anticipate will help with the growing case load.  "...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly

KOAM - Licensed to Pittsburg, Kansas
Send tips, ideas and press releases to: tips@koamtv.com
Send newsroom questions or comments to: comments@koamtv.com
Phone: (417) 624-0233 or (620) 231-0400
Web comments or questions: webmaster@koamtv.com
Newsroom Fax: (417) 624-3158

Powered by WorldNow All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KOAM. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.