Quantcast

Joplin restaurant workers did "the right thing" during fire - KOAM TV 7

Joplin restaurant workers did "the right thing" during fire

Updated:
A Joplin fast food restaurant is nearly destroyed by a fire.  It was reported this morning, after six, at the Sonic drive-in near Seventh and Illinois Streets.

Joplin's fire chief says a preliminary investigation indicates the fire started near a fryer.  No one was hurt.  The city's emergency management officer says most of the time, restaurant workers are trained well for these types of circumstances.

"Fortunately, fires at restaurants do not happen all that often.  I believe we had one last year around this time, their employees had very good training.  They have fire suppression equipment on scene.  Things do happen, but not very often," says Keith Stammer with the Joplin Fire Department.

"They (Sonic employees) did exactly the right thing.  They realized this fire was way too big for them to fight, and they got themselves out of that building, which was absolutely correct," says Stammer.

We wanted to ask some of the workers at this Sonic location about what's next for them.  However, local management would not allow us to interview those workers.

Powered by Frankly

KOAM - Licensed to Pittsburg, Kansas
Send tips, ideas and press releases to: tips@koamtv.com
Send newsroom questions or comments to: comments@koamtv.com
Phone: (417) 624-0233 or (620) 231-0400
Web comments or questions: webmaster@koamtv.com
Newsroom Fax: (417) 624-3158

Powered by Frankly, Inc. All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KOAM. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.