Quantcast

Oklahoma veteran loses house in fire, life spared by grandson - KOAM TV 7

Oklahoma veteran loses house in fire, life spared by grandson

Updated:
AFTON, OKLAHOMA -

The year 2016 was rough for one Four State family, in losing two family members as well as a December 30 house fire which took all their grandfather's possessions. But they still have "Pop", or 84-year-old Edward Kautz thanks to Kautz's 14-year-old great grandson, Shelby York.

York's three siblings, parents, and cousin Josh were all staying at Kautz's house over the New Year weekend when Josh awoke to excessive warmth creeping into the home. A second-store fireplace caught fire on the exterior.

"We were woken up about midnight by my cousin and he saidd the house is on fire," Samantha York, Shelby's mother sai.d

York and her husband awoke their four children, ranging in age from one to 14-year-old Shelby. Instead of exiting the home, Shelby entered the smoke to find his great-grandfather. Shelby put a wet rag over Kautz's mouth and his own and escorted him out of the flames.

"I know we talk about fire safety a little bit at home, I know they do things at school, but he is just a genuine helper and so I think anything he's learned along the way about how to help people, he just saved in his little brain and he wanted to make sure his Grandpa was okay. They're pretty close," York said.

Kautz, a Korean War veteran, lost his beloved wife, Donna in March of 2016 to cancer. Family describes their marriage as something out of a movie. All Kautz's memories of his wife were destroyed in the fire, including a special piano. Donna Kautz played piano for movies in the silent film era.

Though he has some homeowner's insurance, it will not cover years of memories. Kautz's hearing aids, glasses and dentures were all lost in the flames.

The family is seeking donations of clothing and funds for Kautz. A GoFundMe page has been set up.

"I know he's too proud to ask for help so we're doing it for him," family member Jessica Miller said.

York's children lost many Christmas presents and winter clothing items in the fire, but she is more worried of her grandfather.

"His entire life was there," York said.

To donate, visit; https://www.gofundme.com/6p-up-in-smoke?ssid=860941248&pos=1

  • NewsMore>>

  • Quapaw Nation Announces New Elder Housing Units

    Quapaw Nation Announces New Elder Housing Units

    Monday, October 22 2018 7:21 PM EDT2018-10-22 23:21:10 GMT

    Twenty new elder housing units are heading to the Quapaw Nation, thanks to assistance from a $750,000 federal grant. 

    More >>

    Twenty new elder housing units are heading to the Quapaw Nation, thanks to assistance from a $750,000 federal grant. 

    More >>
  • Shots Fired near Joplin School, Multiple in Custody

    Shots Fired near Joplin School, Multiple in Custody

    Monday, October 22 2018 7:58 PM EDT2018-10-22 23:58:40 GMT
    Joplin, MOJoplin, MO

    Joplin Police are at 23rd and Grand for reports of shots fired. According to Captain Trevor Duncan, authorities got a report of a male with a gun walking in the middle of the road. As officers were headed to the scene, Duncan says police received reports of multiple shots fired. Authorities have detained several people as they investigate what happened. No injuries have been reported at this time.

    More >>

    Joplin Police are at 23rd and Grand for reports of shots fired. According to Captain Trevor Duncan, authorities got a report of a male with a gun walking in the middle of the road. As officers were headed to the scene, Duncan says police received reports of multiple shots fired. Authorities have detained several people as they investigate what happened. No injuries have been reported at this time.

    More >>
  • 2.4 Million Taquitos Recalled, Salmonella & Listeria Concern

    2.4 Million Taquitos Recalled, Salmonella & Listeria Concern

    Monday, October 22 2018 2:54 PM EDT2018-10-22 18:54:26 GMT

    A Texas company is recalling 2,490,593 pounds of ready-to-eat meat and poultry taquitos that might be contaminated with Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes. The items were shipped to distributors nationwide. The ready-to-eat meat and poultry taquitos were produced from July 1 through Oct. 10, 2018. The following products are subject to recall: 4.5-lbs. cardboard cases containing 24-count Go-Go Taquitos "Beef Taco & Cheese Taquitos" with a case code 86183 ...

    More >>

    A Texas company is recalling 2,490,593 pounds of ready-to-eat meat and poultry taquitos that might be contaminated with Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes. The items were shipped to distributors nationwide. The ready-to-eat meat and poultry taquitos were produced from July 1 through Oct. 10, 2018. The following products are subject to recall: 4.5-lbs. cardboard cases containing 24-count Go-Go Taquitos "Beef Taco & Cheese Taquitos" with a case code 86183 ...

    More >>
Powered by Frankly

KOAM - Licensed to Pittsburg, Kansas
Send tips, ideas and press releases to: tips@koamtv.com
Send newsroom questions or comments to: comments@koamtv.com
Phone: (417) 624-0233 or (620) 231-0400
Web comments or questions: webmaster@koamtv.com
Newsroom Fax: (417) 624-3158

Powered by Frankly, Inc. All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KOAM. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.