Quantcast

Lamar House Fire Sparks Concerns Over Space Heater Safety, Uses - KOAM TV 7

Lamar House Fire Sparks Concerns Over Space Heater Safety, Uses

Updated:

     A space heater is to blame for a fire in Lamar that destroyed a home.
     And it's *how* that space heater was used that has fire officials concerned.
Becci Jones with Jones Plumbing and HVAC says "First of all I would recommend that if you do have frozen pipes, that you call a professional, a professional is going to know what to do when they get there."
Her husband, Chris Jones, owns Jones Plumbing in Lamar.
After hearing about the fire Wednesday night, she was upset for those involved.
Jones was surprised of the cause.
Officials say a space heater was being used to thaw frozen pipes under the house, when something ignited.
Fire Chief Larry Beatty: "The house was fully involved from one end to the other, it was a double wide modular type home, it was well involved, and we just did an exterior attack on it."
Chief Beatty says the structure couldn't be saved.
In all, about 20,000 gallons of water were used to put the fire out.
All that remains is this charred shell.
Professionals like Becci Jones say there are ways to prevent pipes from freezing, which could have potentially prevented this fire.
Jones: "If you have not covered your crawl spaces, make sure that you do that, if you need some extra insulation around those crawl spaces, close those vents on the outside, if you've even done that, and you've noticed that water is starting to freeze, leave your water dripping, as long as the water is moving through the pipe, it's not going to freeze."
With a snap of bitterly cold temperatures on the way, and the use of space heaters increasing this winter season, officials say you need to monitor those space heaters very closely.
Jones: "Space heaters, they do give you instant heat, but they are very unsafe, if you have to use one, do not ever leave it unattended, do not go to sleep with it on, again, it just takes one second for something to happen like that."
Beatty: "We don't recommend leaving fans unattended even in the summer time, you just don't leave appliances like that unattended."
     What exactly ignited that space heater is still under investigation.

MORE TOP NEWS

Chris Warner
Reporter

A Joplin native, Chris first started in broadcasting at age 16 at KSNF-TV in 2004..

Chris joined the KOAM team in 2017 as an Associate Producer. In April, he moved into a full-time reporter position. He spent time from 2008 to 2016 in various retail roles around the region before returning to his passion at KOAM. Chris is excited to continue telling the stories of the four states. Chris and his wife Amber live in Joplin and have three amazing children.

Follow Chris:
On Facebook
On Twitter

Contact Chris:
417.624.0233 or 620.231.0400
cwarner@koamtv.com

  • Chris WarnerMore>>

  • Carthage Art Classes

    Carthage Art Classes

    Saturday, January 13 2018 7:58 PM EST2018-01-14 00:58:25 GMT

        According to CampusExplorer.com, college art courses can range upwards of $42,000 a year, and private lessons, around $70 to $100 a piece.     But, at Cherry's Art Emporium On The Square in Carthage, you can get classes, and materials, once a month, for just $30.

    More >>

        According to CampusExplorer.com, college art courses can range upwards of $42,000 a year, and private lessons, around $70 to $100 a piece.     But, at Cherry's Art Emporium On The Square in Carthage, you can get classes, and materials, once a month, for just $30.

    More >>
  • Wash The Salt Off Your Car Before It Becomes A Hazard

    Wash The Salt Off Your Car Before It Becomes A Hazard

    Saturday, January 13 2018 7:54 PM EST2018-01-14 00:54:22 GMT

    Road crews will likely be putting down another round of salt on area roads in advance of our next potential storm system...      But that salt can be harmful, even dangerous, for your car.     That's why officials at In And Out Car Wash in Joplin say it's important to wash your car as soon as possible after it gets coated in salt.

    More >>

    Road crews will likely be putting down another round of salt on area roads in advance of our next potential storm system...      But that salt can be harmful, even dangerous, for your car.     That's why officials at In And Out Car Wash in Joplin say it's important to wash your car as soon as possible after it gets coated in salt.

    More >>
  • Accident In Cherokee County

    Accident In Cherokee County

    Thursday, January 11 2018 10:43 PM EST2018-01-12 03:43:23 GMT

        An accident in Cherokee County sends one man to the hospital.     The accident occurred just before 8:00 this evening on Southwest 90th just south of Hallowell.     According to Sheriff David Groves, the driver of this SUV lost control.     The SUV left the road and overturned -- ending up in a creek.     A passerby noticed the tail lights and called 911.

    More >>

        An accident in Cherokee County sends one man to the hospital.     The accident occurred just before 8:00 this evening on Southwest 90th just south of Hallowell.     According to Sheriff David Groves, the driver of this SUV lost control.     The SUV left the road and overturned -- ending up in a creek.     A passerby noticed the tail lights and called 911.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly

KOAM - Licensed to Pittsburg, Kansas
Send tips, ideas and press releases to: tips@koamtv.com
Send newsroom questions or comments to: comments@koamtv.com
Phone: (417) 624-0233 or (620) 231-0400
Web comments or questions: webmaster@koamtv.com
Newsroom Fax: (417) 624-3158

Powered by WorldNow All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KOAM. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.