4 tablespoons butter 1 large onion, chopped 1 tablespoon minced garlic 2 tablespoons flour 3 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, chopped (I use canned more often than not) 2 tablespoons tomato paste 1 teaspoon sugar 3 cups broth (vegetable or chicken) Salt and pepper, to taste 1 cup heavy cream
1. Melt the butter over low heat in a pot.
2. Add the onion; cook over low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic during the last 2 minutes, stirring. Sprinkle with flour and cook 3 minutes longer, stirring.
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover; cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
4. Purée the soup in a food processor - I use the hand blender and do it right in the pot. Stir in the heavy cream.
5. Warm the soup before serving.
Recipes from the KOAM Morning NewsAll RecipesMore>>
*DISCLAIMER*: The information contained in or provided through this site section is intended for general consumer understanding and education only and is not intended to be and is not a substitute for professional advice. Use of this site section and any information contained on or provided through this site section is at your own risk and any information contained on or provided through this site section is provided on an "as is" basis without any representations or warranties.