Makes 8 servings
Ideal slow cooker: 3 1/2 or 4 quart
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 ozs. semisweet chocolate or 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa, divided
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate in microwave at HIGH power for 40 seconds. Mix well.
- Whisk 2/3 cup granulated sugar, 3 Tbsp. cocoa, vanilla, salt, milk, and egg yolk into chocolate mixture.
- Add flour mixture. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour batter into slow cooker. Spread evenly.
- Whisk together remaining granulated sugar, remaining cocoa, brown sugar, and hot water until sugar is dissolved. Pour over batter in slow cooker. Do not stir!
- Cover and cook on high 2 hours. The cake will be very moist and floating on a layer of molten chocolate when it's done. And you'll know it's done cooking when its edges begin to pull away from the sides of the insert and nearly all the cake is set.
- Turn off slow cooker and remove lid. Try not to let the condensation from the lid drip onto the cake. Let cool for 25 minutes before spooning into individual bowls. Serve with vanilla ice cream if desired.
NOTE: This cake is also delicious with frozen yogurt