- 1 lemon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup soy flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup plain or vanilla soymilk
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9"x 5" loaf pan with spray.
- Grate the zest from the lemon (be careful to grate only the outer yellow portion). Squeeze the juice from the lemon and set aside.
- Beat together the sugar, oil, and grated lemon zest in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs and beat well.
- Sift or stir together the all-purpose flour, soy flour, and baking powder. Add to the sugar mixture and mix thoroughly. Beat in the soymilk.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- While the loaf is baking, mix together the powdered sugar and reserved lemon juice.
- As soon as the loaf is removed from the oven, prick it all over the top with a cake tester or toothpick, and pour the lemon juice mixture over it.
- Let it sit in the pan for about 5 minutes so the loaf can absorb the liquid, and then remove the loaf and let it cool on a rack.
Yield 1 loaf of 16 slices.
Per 1 slice serving:
- 115 calories
- 6 g fat (0.7 g sat fat)
- 26 mg cholesterol
- 36 mg sodium
- 16 g carbohydrate
- 2 g protein (1 g soy protein)
- 0.6 g dietary fiber